Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16th


After a glimpse back at winter yesterday, it was spring all over today.  Sunshine and mild weather make it easy to want to be outside cleaning up.  Jim mowed for the first time and fertilized this evening.  It was nice to have no wind.


East of the House

This is the wide view, showing the nice terrace and steps Jim put in going down to the patio, I'm looking from the top of the north deck steps.



 This closer view shows the iris on either end,  the violets should be blooming soon.  They aren't planted, but I like the so well, I let them bloom all over the place and then pull up most of them and let a few go to seed.  There are a couple of spots in here where the ground is carpeted with some very small plants, that I think are baby violets coming up, that will bloom next year.  Our rule is, if something is coming up as thick as hair on a dog's back, it is likely a weed. I've also planted some bulbs in here that my friend Juli sent me for my birthday, I don't know what they are.

Which brings us to this plant growing in the back of this spot.  I've marked it so I'll see what happens to it.  I don't know what it is.  It very well could be a weed.   


Under the North Deck Steps

I have three or four dianthus coming. One looks rather sick from being buried under damp corn husks.  When the field just south of us is combined, we get buried in corn leaves and husks.  I should have been out earlier to clean out.

My hostas are just poking their heads out of the ground, and I let my marigolds go to seed in here, so hopefully some of them will grow back, I have plumbago and some sort of ground covering sedum growing  in the little spot closest to the sidewalk.  It has been slowly but steadily filling in the spot. 


I've forgotten what this is, it never gets any bigger and has yellow flowers in the summer. 


These are the main flowers currently blooming.



My favorite flowers are the daffodils, my birth month flower.  So, I picked a whole gob, with a few grape hyacinths, to grace my table for Sunday dinner company.


I have other jonquils than the King Alfred daffodils.  So pretty.

No comments: