Wednesday, August 12, 2020

August 11, 2020

We put 118 quarts of corn in the freezer in three evenings work.  When I was a kid and helping Mom with corn, I don't remember making and eating any supper.  We just ate corn.  I should see if Mom remembers, I'm not sure Dad would have been enthused about that.

Friday evening Jim and I picked garden and Saturday spent some time going around town to see if anyone sells a steam canner.  Mine has holes in the bottom and dripping all over, so it is out.  He went to Menards and the Farms stores and I went to Walmart and Ace.  No luck, so I ordered one online, I hope it comes since they aren't out to send until the month is almost over.  I still have my enamel water bath canner and after a refresher course, am using it.  I bought a jar lifter since I don't have all tall enough rack to pull all jars out at once.  Besides, that way is too heavy.  I also bought a 25# lug of California peaches. 

After that, I went to work on what we got out of the garden.  I got 3 qts of dill pickles, 6 qts of Caddie pickles, 5 qts of bread and butter pickles and put 1 qt of grated and 3 qts of sliced zucchini and yellow squash in the freezer.

Monday I put 2/3 of the peaches into 11 qts and bought 2 more lugs. 

Tuesday, I put up 6 more qts of peaches, 6 of Caddie pickles, 3 dills, 8 pints of zucchini relish and froze 2 qts grated yellow squash.  The zucchini looks better in the relish and we don't mind the yellow in bread.  For squash patties, it doesn't matter which kind.

No comments: