Sunday, November 5, 2017

November 1, 2017

"Harvest is ended, and summer is gone," quoth Anne of the Island, I think.  
Only it is a lot nearer winter than we want to think, having had our first snow October 31st.  The Old Wives say that we will have 31 snowstorms this winter, or is it 31 inches? I think I'll go look it up.
Well, I found a bunch of tales I never heard of, but this one comes close:

  • As many days old as is the moon on the first snow, there will be that many snowfalls by crop planting time.
Jim dug the sweet potatoes at the end of October and we got some huge ones.



We also got some funny looking ones.  We went looking on Google for some answers to this phenomenon, but we didn't get any.  We did find out that this happens to other people. This particular shape grows directly at the base of the plant and then as other roots go down, traditional looking sweet potatoes form.  We planted six plants and got more sweet potatoes that regular potatoes in the two rows that were about 4 times the length of the sweet potato row. 





It tasted just like a sweet potato.  I scrubbed it well, and baked it with the peel on.  It peeled easily after it was cooked. 

That weekend, which was the last nice day we've had, being sunny with no wind, albeit cold. I cleaned up the rest of the flower garden that I was going to.  I got rid of the morning glories and swept leaves off the patio and the porch.  We put away the deck chair cushions, and the rest of it will have to wait until spring.

The last thing I hope to do is cover the base of the roses when the ground freezes. 


No comments: