Sunday, July 17, 2016

Week of July 11th, 2016

I picked nearly all of the beets.  A small section was hidden in weeds. The tops had been chewed off by rabbits and they were behind anyway. 

 


We've had three pickings of beans.  I put a quart in the freezer and we are eating them. 


I bought an 11# lug of cherries for 18.99. ($1.72 per pound)
The days are long gone to buy them for 99 cents a pound.
They canned up so easily, I canned another lug.  


I bought a bunch of peaches at HyVee, 1.49 a pound. 


The results of my labor. 


Our yellow summer apples were ready this week and my mom came to help.  We did two 5-gallons buckets of apples into sauce.  These are mine.  Mom took 5 pints. 


The tally:
I don't have photos of the pickles.
3 quarts Caddie pickles
1 quart and 1 pint dills (I forgot the garlic in the quart jar.)
16 quarts and 20 pints cherries
13 quarts peaches
4 quarts and 16 pints applesauce
I also put 4 pints of blueberries in the freezer and 3 pints of strawberries.  
Earlier this year I put a gallon of apple slices in the freezer and I haven't been counting the blueberries.  
I use the fruit for smoothies so extra fruit goes in the freezer in chunks for smoothies.  
I've put 5 pints of 'soup base' in the freezer.  That is cooked yellow squash blended and frozen.  Since I eat a lot of soup I use that instead of or for part of the water.